Monday 13 May 2013

Barrels And Crates Research

Over the Easter holidays we were supposed to create crates and barrels, old fashioned, and modern or industrial types. So here are a few barrels and crates I looked at for inspiraton.

Whisky barrel
Pretty straight forward, wooden barrel with metal edges to hold it together. Pretty much my favourite type of barrel : D I love the look of it.


I have noticed that the more imperfect the wooden stuff is... the better : D 
I love the rusty metal and the scratched and damaged barrel.

Skyrim barrel

Using the rusty and damaged look. I like the texture but I don't like the shape of the barrel : s
It's not round enough for me. 

Oblivion barrels

These are also very damaged stained old barrels, but with little handles on the top lid. I believe it's because they're for food transport rather than liquids. I can't think of any other reason for 

Borderlands Barrels
Pretty modern, industrial type.
Rusty and stained. Reason for different colours is basically to let you know what's inside, and what's going to happen to the enemy when you shoot the barrel, and the explosion of whatever is inside hits them. 


Oil barrels


Oblivion crates


More Borderlands - crates
sort of modern looking weapon and ammo crates.

And an old fashioned wooden crate.
What makes them modern is the fact they're made out of metal obviously, and the screens and buttons and all : D They're more like a safe than a crate. But that's the magic of modern things, they consider all the possibilities and try and eliminate the risks of all sorts. 


Here I have a barrel I found when I was walking past some factory.


I like all the rust and scratches on it, you look at it and you see that this barrel has been through a lot! D:

And here I have some barrels I photographed in the 'modern war' section in the local museum - Royal Armouries ( greatest museum on the planet by the way) 




I like the dirty textures on those. I mean it's pretty obvious that you won't see a clean barrel or crate anyway.

And so here you have all the barrels and crates I've looked at before I created my own : D 









No comments:

Post a Comment