Monday 13 May 2013

Actual Inspiration, Herbert West - REANIMATOR

" I was by this time his active and enthralled assistant, and helped him make all his decisions, not only concerning the source of bodies but concerning a suitable place for our loathsome work. It was I who thought of the deserted Chapman farmhouse beyond Meadow Hill, where we fitted up on the ground floor an operating room and a laboratory, each with dark curtains to conceal our midnight doings. The place was far from any road, and in sight of no other house, yet precautions were none the less necessary; since rumours of strange lights, started by chance nocturnal roamers, would soon bring disaster on our enterprise, It was agreed to call the whole thing a chemical laboratory if discovery should occur. "

" We followed the local death- notices like ghouls, for our specimens demanded particular qualities. What we wanted were corpses interred soon after death and without artificial preservation; preferably free from malforming disease, and certainly with all organs present."


These are two quotes from the book I am reading at the moment, the Necronomicon by H.P. Lovecraft. Well I started reading it at the beginning of the year, and got to this story not long before I started this project. When I started work on my own project I had less time to read, that's why I didn't notice that without realizing I actually in a way re-created this story! 
I realized when I found some time to read again, it was on a bus journey and I couldn't believe it. But I am happy that I did so, because it's an amazing story. I recommend you go out and buy yourself a Necronomicon to read too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment