Monday 20 May 2013

Copyright

Obviously with us being a digital course and constantly sharing our work on our blogs. Not only that but also sharing other people's work and talking about it... We needed to know a thing or two about copyright. 
We had a whole long presentation on copyright and I found it very interesting to be honest.
I found out that there isn't just one type of copyright, there's lots, like copyleft for example. Which I found funny... It's like a rebellious hippie of the group : D
But let's get to the point. I'm starting to rant again...

At first I was worried about posting my own work on the blog for the obvious reasons.
But it turns out that whatever I, or anyone else really, posts on here or anywhere else in the UK, we are automatically protected! We are covered by the Copyright, Design and UK Patents act of 1998.
Means we are automatically covered, we do not have to register it or anything.
And that's pretty good. Makes me wanna share my stuff rather than being afraid that it'll be stolen : D

Also it was important for us to know about copyright because we share other artist's work and talk about it.
I believe it is alright for us to do so because it's a non-commercial work, it is also for educational purposes.
Also I believe nobody ever complained about a free advertisement : D

Also there is a CreativeCommons company. A non profit organisation that provide a variety of licenses that vary from the 'all rights reserved'. For example some people might be happy with people editing and releasing their work as long as the original creator gets all the credit for it. Or some people are fine with sharing the work for commercial and non- commercial use, as long as it's passed along unchanged and with credit to you... aaaaand there is lots more, but I would spend waay to long trying to talk about them all.
All I am trying to tell you is that there are many ways you can share your work without the worry of it going wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment