Monday 13 May 2013

Modelling - Jars

I spent literally, hours and hours to try and do the jars. But not only transparent jars but also the good looking things to fill the jars with. I didn't want it to look really fake and stuff... so I suppose that's where the hours come in. I spent lots of this time trying to get the right transparency on everything really, not too much and not too little. I couldn't really get it the way I wanted it, so I made an outer layer which is like glass, transparent, and another one where there is stuff on it. And by layer I mean objects, so we have the glass, and the stuffing :') 
It works for me, so with this technique I am going to do the rest of my jars.

Obviously before I figured out how to do this I came across many many problems and have made countless mistakes. For example I thought it's easy and just changed the transparency of the object in the menu on Maya... but it turned out that when I then imported it to Unity, it wasn't so transparent.
I tried playing around with objects in Unity, I got advised to use the Transparent - Diffuse option... but that didn't seem to work for me... ( Unity hates me ) And lots more!

So after all this I came to this technique where I play around with alpha maps etc, and create two separate objects... and it seems to be best technique! : D


Obviously what I have to do here, is make the texture double sided so you can see it from different angles, like here you can't see the lid... But other than that, I'm happy with the outcome! : D


This is actually supposed to be a brain jar. It's not too bad but it's not my favourite.
To do the brains I actually used beef mince. I thought it looks similar enough.




Here I have a few other designs and textured objects for you to look at. 
I went with the green and red colour for the bottles because it's a common colour used for healing and poison potions. Occasionally it'll be a stamina potion but not always. I would say it depends on the type of green used :')

No comments:

Post a Comment