Thursday 21 May 2015

Weta Digital

So many of my favourite movies exist because of these guys.
LOTR, The Hobbit!
(the avengers, xmen, prometheus, man of steel, iron man 3, godzilla, furious 7 and many many more.)

This year, instead of writing about what the companies do and their achievements, because we all already know anyway. I thought of looking into what the company is looking for in an employee. What skills etc. Because this is something I will need to develop on in the next few months to be able to even be considered for a position.

"ability to convey and incorporate ideas across multiple disciplines"

This is what I was talking about earlier, how I decided not to stick to developing one skill. Because it's pointless, and here is a proof I'm right. They want you to be flexible.

"3+ years experience in feature film, games or similar."

This isn't too bad I read a few others which required a ridiculous amount of experience. And this is quite satisfying, achievable. : )

"interest in landscape painting, underwater photgraphy etc"

I don't quite get why they're so specific about the hobbies... why underwater photography, are they just looking for an unusual candidate, with unusual hobbies?

After I was reading on I got an imporession that you just need to love what to do.
They obviously don't want a depressed person who doesn't want to go to work everyday. To me it says a very friendly environment, full of people who want to be there and enjoy being there most of all. It is definitely an environment I'd like to work in. Further down it said that they need a person who can stay calm when under pressure. Definitely a stress free environment. Dream job.

They are a huge, very popular and skilled company. Yet they don't require nothing crazy like fifty years experience for you to even apply for the desired position. Three years which they ask for isn't that long. They don't even ask for the experience to be within the area, it can be anything creative and they will consider you. I feel like they're interested in creative people with great ideas. I feel like they appreciate all creative people and believe in their abilities.

I found this position for a junior animator. This seemed like an ideal position because they required skills at my level. In fact the skills I had also fell under the "bonus" category, which means I have more skills than required and may just be above other applicants. For example knowledge of vfx software or game development. It's something I'm passionate about and reading something like this it feels like I would want to work in that environment. For once I feel like I would be comfortable applying for such a job position and I feel like I'd have a chance of actually getting it! When I read other job advertisements I don't feel that way. I always feel like they want so much skills I never even came across before.
When reading things like these I'm actually motivated to do more, to do better because I've got a realistic chance of getting a job in the industry afterwards.

Even the experienced Animator, doesn't specify you need to have millions of years of experience. They specify they need a "strong knowledge of Maya" I know some people who haven't been doing it for that long and are so amazing at scripting and modeling they could confidently go for this job! Again I feel like I would be able to do this in a while.
Reading all of this I get really motivated. Makes me feel good about myself ^^ 

No comments:

Post a Comment