Thursday 7 May 2015

Depth of Field and Fog

Right from the beginning I wanted my Lake Town to look mysterious I thought of adding fog etc. But lately I also thought of adding the depth of field to the camera.
I started messing with it and I loved the outcome.
I think it helps you get the goosebumps when you can't clearly see what's out there. 
The blurry silhouettes make you want to go near it and see what it is, and the only way to see is to walk up close to it so it actually pushes the player to explore the environment, which is the aim of the game here.
It is such a simple thing to do and has a huge impact.
All you have to do is go into your character controller, add a component, -> camera, and your depth of field is in the image effects.


I have discovered this view and it helps so much. Sometimes when you're looking at the actual environment you can't see it clearly enough. For example mine is very dark so it was quite difficult and with this you can get it just right.

I spent a little while getting it to look perfect for my liking. I also added the fog which made it just the way I wanted.
I was trying to be careful so it's not overwhelming, the fog and the blur so it's not just killing the whole look rather than enhancing it.
With a little blur you can't tell that the houses and things are repeated and I could use things a lot more than before, help it look busier.




No comments:

Post a Comment