Sunday 3 March 2013

Modelling My Toy Darth Vader


Well I'm at the point of modelling my Lego Darth vader!
So I started with the head, everything was simply created from the shapes provided like spheres and cubes etc. a few faces needed extruding, like the top of the head to create that Lego look. 
To be honest, everything was really simple to make, apart from the arms. I could not figure out how to do the arms so I had to seek some tutorials for that! Turns out it was as simple as creating a sphere, deleting half of it, the faces, then selecting the edges, and extruding those. Then when you twist it and position it right etc, you select the Vertuses and extrude those towards the inside of the arm, then merging the vertuses. To make the hands I used cylinders, inserted edge loops on top and bottom, then deleted the useless faces etc. 
Since modelling the Lego itself didn't take that long, I moved onto creating the helmet!
To make sure it's proportional to the rest of the body I copied the head itself and placed it inside, and started building the helmet around that. 
Here it became a little more complicated I coudn't just use the shapes given I had to tweak them a bit, mostly played with vertuses to change the shapes and extruded stuff.




To create this I actually used the technique we've used in out "truck" tutorial. I created a cube and I inserted an edge loop roughly in the middle of the cube, then selected the top two vertuses and just relocated those.

I then used split polygon tool to add 2 edges where I needed them. I then extruded those to create the rest of the face.



I then created a smaller cube for the nose, and two cylinders for the other details. 


To create "the grill" I repeated the same technique as I did for the triangle bit of the face. But instead of extruding it outwards, i extruded it towards the inside. 



I then used a black Lambert for my colour. It's perfect because it's shiny, and Legos are plastic which is also shiny.  



To make it easier with my animation, apart from just grouping the whole Darth Vader, I separately grouped the head, and the body. And inside the body group I separately grouped right arm, left arm, left leg and right leg. To make my life easier when animating : D

No comments:

Post a Comment