Monday 2 March 2015

The Hobbit - Lake town

The first obvious step into the reearch was looking into The Hobbit's Lake Town. 
I found this article/documentary which scared me a little, but at the same time was very helpful...

http://www.itsartmag.com/features/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-making-laketown/

For the purpose of making their Lake Town they created the following:
50 buildings
8 bridges
6 towers
All buildings etc were dressed and scaled differently to have a big variety
they covered 200 000 squared meters of ground
There were 1500 buildings visible at a time in some of the shots
2 000 000 planks of wood
150 000 000 roof tiles
1749 walkways

When i listened to that i was a little scared that mine wont be anywhere near as complicated and therefore not really good. But then i remembered that I'm not making it as big and most of the pathways will be broken so you wont be able to explore everything so duplicates will be less obvious. I CAN DO IT!

Apart from that I looked at the style and things. 
I like their crooked houses that look like they're about to fall apart really. 
They're all for living purposes they're not very decorative. 
I like the raw untreated wood. 
What I am planning on doing is exactly what they did about the numbers of buildings and things they needed to make it feel alive. I will be duplicating mixing and matching things in order to work as efficiently as I can and creating the best result. 


No comments:

Post a Comment