Wednesday 4 March 2015

Floor Plans

I felt like I need to figure out the layout of things before I start doing anything. 
The initial drawings I did were a little too, controlled, after a short discussion with my tutor he did make me think that a community like that must be a little more organic and less organized. 
The way the buildings were built and the roads were placed must be a little more random.
So since then I've been trying to do things that way, a little less thought through. 

To make thingsa little easier, and speed up the process a little. 
I looked through the maps of cities to find some good looking layouts.
I traced a few of the good ones in photoshop and stuck them together. 
From here on I just need to figure out how to make it into a maze ^^

When I was tracing the maps there were roundabouts here and there.
It gave me an idea, I kept them because I thought it'd add to the story if I had little shrines around the space. It doesn't have to be sculptures or anything huge but little things, just to make you think.

I liked the idea of having one "main road" that would be damaged which would force the player to find a way around.

I looked at a lot of towns and cities big and small. I was hoping that there will be something useful there. But I could not be more wrong. The structure of the roads and buildings is made like by the ruler. Everything is so straight at 90 degrees, and well laid out. Waste of time :') So I  started travelling very randomly around the map and picked bits and pieces.

In the end I've had a few traced layouts I liked.
I then began combining bits and pieces together to create my floor plan.
Now I just needed to figure out what buildings should go where.


I drew the houses square and in line but in the end i will have them standing randomly. Here I just mainly wanted to figure out the bridge layout.
The shaded spaces are the two marketplaces I wanted to have where most of the shops would be placed.

No comments:

Post a Comment