Sunday 11 January 2015

Back to basics - Compositing

Once I filmed the short sequence it was time to remember how to edit it. I do have to say that I didn't open the After Effects throughout the whole summer so I'm a little rusty.
But I didn't seem to forget much, I still remembered how to get around.
I started from the basics, I applied Keylight, then keyed my greenscreen.
I used cc snow effect to add the snow.
There were a few different things to consider, size of the flakes, the amount of the flakes, and the speed they're falling at. The snow in the foreground was bigger and falling faster, there was also a lot less of it than in the background. The snow in the background was a lot smaller and falling a lot slower. I also changed the opacity of the snow so it's not so sharp, it looks a little more natural that way. I think for it being my first time with the snow it didn't work out too bad ^^

Other than that let's talk about what this task was about.
I managed to key out the green screen and remember pretty much where what and how in AfterEffects. I managed to remember a lot of shortcuts and whereabouts of specific effects to speed up the process of compositing.
I remembered how to blend layers to make them look believable. There was some little issues during this little process but it wasn't anything that couldn't be resolved.
Overall it was good practice to remember all the whereabouts.



Here I applied the keylight and a few masks to have just Kat on a layer.


After adding the snow I had to make Kat sit in the composition a little better. The colours on her were way too bright and it did not look natural at all.


For this I used the Magic Bullet Looks, from the Red Giant Plug-ins.
I have found them to be dead easy to use and very useful. 
There are so many various options I don't know how I lived without them before -__-

Anyways here is the finished product! ^^
I'm quite proud of it. And I have learned a lot along the way c:


No comments:

Post a Comment